We finally got out of town around noon on the 5th, and dashed about 600 km northwards. We set up camp at sunset, and continued the next morning. We experienced our first flat tire after about 10 km, but the wheel was rapidly replaced, especially because we got help from a local road crew that happened to dive by. Otherwise people and cars were few and far in between.
Here are our additional team members, Willem Augustyn and Jeroen van der Merwe, both from the University of Stellenbosch.
And here are our first Lithops plants! These are from a small population of Lithops aucampiae, which we found on the second evening according to a hint obtained from a Lithops specialist.
Now on the third day, the weather has been rainy and windy, so we have made only tests with our multispec UV+VIS setup and concentrated on finding new populations (which we have noticed to be rather difficult). The UV+VIS camera seems to work fine, but we'll have to wait for better weather for the actual imaging.
Our internet connections are sporadic, but we hope to send updates every now and then.